How Much Ground Pressure Am I Applying with My Different Tire and Vehicle Configurations?
Author(s) Parker Williams, Brian Luck, Francisco Arriaga, Dennis Hancock, and Jessica Drewry
Print copies of this publication will be available in June 2020.
Wheel traffic in fields can compact soil, negatively impacting both plant health and yield. While it is impossible to eliminate all wheel traffic in a field, you can reduce the impact from the machines required to do the work. This article reviews weights and ground pressures applied by various pieces of commonly used forage harvesting equipment (6 pages; 2020).
Want to learn more?
- Managing Soil Compaction at Planting and Harvest (A4158)
- Soil Compaction: Causes, Concerns, and Cures (A3367)
- Proper Use of Cone Penetrometers for Detecting Soil Compaction (A4144)
- Management of Wisconsin Soils (A3588)
- The Wisconsin Crop Manager newsletter